Read any blog and you will find professionals warning you against doing any electrical work on your own. While tasks such as changing a bulb or installing a new cover for the electrical socket are safe to do on your own, there are a few others that can hit you with a high jolt of electricity.
Even if you have the proper tools, remember this: your home insurance may not cover this. Go through the National Electrical Code (NEC) and find out the types of tasks you can do yourself. Manually checking electrical connections in the house by plugging in appliances or your mobile phone charger is never a good idea. To find out whether the socket in question is active or not, use a voltage tester. If you can, buy an ammeter to find out which outlet is running at what level of electric current.
Now, let’s have a look at some of the electrical safety tips.
When plugging an adapter into an outlet, make sure that the pins sit in tight. If the connection is loose, the adapter can overheat and cause a fire. Make sure that all broken plates are replaced immediately so that children don’t stick their hands in it.
Even a small nick in the cord can lead to an electric current. Make sure that the cords are not underfoot, stapled, or nailed to the wall or pressed under furniture.
Extension cords should only be used temporarily. Plugging in too many appliances can cause them to overheat and blow out the appliances. The blowback from an extension cord is quite deadly and can lead to the loss of your hand.
If an appliance has a 3-pin adapter, then better get a 3-pin plug for it. Do not conduct your little experiment by removing the 3rd prong and forcing it into the outlet.
A high wattage bulb screwed into a low wattage fixture can cause it to overheat and then blow its fuse. There are two things that you need to make sure here: first, before installing a new bulb, check the packaging to find out its wattage and second, make sure the bulb is not loose.
This is an obvious one but worth repeating because people still leave their hair dryer plugged in the bathroom. When using any appliance in the bathroom, don’t keep it on the counter and never leave it plugged in an active outlet.
If an appliance blows out its fuse time and time again, take it to an electrician and get it repaired. If that doesn’t work, then it’s time to throw out the piece of trash.
These safety tips will help you carry out small electrical repairs easily. Don’t forget to wear rubber gloves and safety glasses even when you are changing the plastic cover of an outlet.